KOTA KINABALU: A day after he was convicted of forgery, Datuk Peter Anthony vowed to clear his name as he appealed the decision.

The Parti Kesejahteraan Demokratik Masyarakat (KDM) head said he respected the court’s decision but would focus on his party work and fight for the people.“I will not be silenced or stopped from my plans to travel to all parts of Sabah to be with the people,” he said when met on arrival at the Kota Kinabalu International Airport.

On Thursday, the Kuala Lumpur Sessions Court found Anthony, 51, guilty of falsifying documents with regard to a system maintenance contract for Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS) that his company was awarded nine years ago. He was jailed three years and fined RM50,000.

“For me, this development will instead boost my drive to carry on strengthening Sabah’s position (in the country).

“As long as I still have two avenues to appeal the decision, I must remain as the KDM president and stay as a valid sitting assemblyman in accordance with the law,” said the Melalap assemblyman.

His jail time, which was ordered to run from Thursday, was stayed pending an appeal to the High Court.

“However, he paid the fine as ordered by Sessions Court judge Azura Alwi.

Yesterday, a smiling Anthony, who was Parti Warisan Sabah vice-president before he quit the party last year, arrived home to a welcoming party of some 50 supporters at the airport at about 11.40am.

“Let the people judge for themselves what’s going on. Is this a case of robbery, stealing money, corruption or did it cause the government or UMS to lose any money? No.

“But I respect the court’s decision,” he said.

He thanked his supporters for their love and support, saying they had nothing to worry about.

“We have nothing to fear as long as we did not do anything wrong. Don’t ever be afraid (as) I believe God will be with us,” he said to loud cheers from his supporters.

The charge against Anthony was committed during his time as a businessman, before he became active in politics with Warisan.