PUTRAJAYA: Two men, believed to be senior directors at their companies, have been arrested over the case linked to the purchase and takeover of the Menara Kuala Lumpur Sdn Bhd concession.
It is learnt that both suspects, who have Datuk titles, were arrested at the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) office here yesterday afternoon.
Aged 48 and 58, they are said to be senior directors of different companies.
Sources with knowledge of the investigation said one of them was the managing director of the company that took over the shares of Menara Kuala Lumpur Sdn Bhd.
“The other suspect is a businessman who is believed to have acted as the middleman in the takeover process,” said a source.
The source said investigators believed that several hundred thousands of ringgit and a luxury watch were gifted to higher-ups involved in the takeover.
Both men will be brought to the Putrajaya Magistrate’s Court today for a remand application.
MACC chief commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki (pic) confirmed the arrests but declined to elaborate due to the ongoing investigation.
On Dec 29 last year, the MACC said it had summoned three people in connection with its investigation into the “suspicious sale” of shares involving the management ownership of the KL Tower.
It also confirmed it had an ongoing probe into the matter.