AMPANG: The remand for a married couple detained in connection with the bomb attack that killed a waiter in Pandan Indah has been extended to Jan 17.
Ampang Jaya OCPD Asst Comm Mohamad Farouk Eshak said the 33-year-old man and his wife, aged 30, were brought to the Ampang Magistrate’s Court yesterday for the remand extension application.
“They were brought to the court at about 11am. The initial remand was supposed to end (yesterday), but it has been extended for a week,” he said when contacted yesterday.
The suspects were represented by lawyer RSN Rayer.
“We needed an extension to investigate the case further,” ACP Mohamad Farouk said.
According to earlier reports, the homemade bomb that killed the waiter was detonated remotely.
Selangor acting police chief Deputy Comm Datuk S. Sasikala Devi said the two suspects were believed to be in the vicinity of the explosion during the incident.
So far, police have recorded statements from 36 people in connection with the case.
Various tools and equipment were seized from the suspects’ home including some fireworks and blades.
It was learnt that the explosive device contained similar materials.
In the incident on Dec 29, the 28-year-old waiter was killed by an explosion at about 8.55pm when he inspected a package placed on his car.
The victim suffered serious injuries to his body and hands, then died at the Ampang Hospital.
Following this, police arrested the suspects on Jan 3 at a house in Serdang, Kedah.